Iran Nuclear Talks Stall in Geneva as U.S. Demands Full Suspension of Enrichment

Iran Nuclear Talks Stall in Geneva as U.S. Demands Full Suspension of Enrichment

February 17, 2026

The latest round of indirect nuclear talks between the United States and Iran concluded without agreement in Geneva on Sunday, with both sides reporting deep divisions over the scope of uranium enrichment limits and sanctions relief. The three-day discussions, mediated by European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas and UN Special Envoy Staffan de Mistura, marked the first formal engagement since the Trump administration reimposed sweeping tariffs and secondary sanctions on Iranian oil and petrochemical exports earlier this month.

U.S. Special Envoy for Iran Robert Malley stated after the talks that Washington continues to insist on a complete halt to all uranium enrichment above 3.67 percent purity, dismantlement of advanced centrifuges at Fordow and Natanz, and verifiable caps on ballistic missile development as prerequisites for any sanctions relief. “We are open to diplomacy, but Iran must return to compliance with the JCPOA baseline before we can discuss incremental steps,” Malley said.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi countered that Tehran would not negotiate under the threat of new tariffs or military pressure. “The United States must first lift the illegal sanctions and return to the agreement it abandoned in 2018. Only then can we discuss mutual steps,” Araghchi told reporters. He confirmed that Iran has continued to enrich uranium to 60 percent purity and has installed additional IR-6 centrifuges at its underground facilities, actions Tehran describes as reversible countermeasures to U.S. withdrawal from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

Key Points of Contention

  • Enrichment levels: Iran demands recognition of its right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes up to 20 percent; the U.S. insists on a return to the JCPOA cap of 3.67 percent.
  • Centrifuge research and development: Iran refuses to dismantle advanced centrifuge cascades already installed; Washington seeks their removal or mothballing.
  • Sanctions relief: Iran seeks immediate lifting of oil export restrictions and access to frozen funds; the U.S. proposes phased relief tied to verifiable compliance steps.
  • Ballistic missiles: The U.S. continues to demand curbs on missile range and payload; Iran maintains that its missile program is defensive and non-negotiable.
  • Verification and monitoring: Both sides agree in principle to enhanced IAEA access but disagree on scope, duration, and snap-back mechanisms.

The talks produced no joint statement, though mediators described the atmosphere as “serious but constructive.” Swiss hosts confirmed that technical-level discussions will continue in Vienna next month, while political-level talks may resume in Geneva or Muscat depending on progress.

International Reactions

European Union High Representative Kaja Kallas called the lack of agreement “disappointing but not unexpected” and urged both sides to avoid further escalatory steps. China and Russia, JCPOA original signatories, reiterated support for Iran’s right to peaceful nuclear energy and called on the U.S. to lift sanctions unconditionally.

Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that “any deal that leaves Iran’s enrichment infrastructure intact is unacceptable” and said Israel would take “all necessary measures” to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran. Saudi Arabia and the UAE expressed concern over the lack of progress but welcomed continued diplomatic engagement.

Oil markets showed limited reaction, with Brent crude futures rising only 0.4 percent as traders assessed the risk of renewed Strait of Hormuz tensions against continued global supply stability.

The Geneva round follows the U.S. imposition of new tariffs on Iranian petrochemicals and metals earlier this month, which Tehran has called “economic warfare.” Iranian officials have hinted at possible countermeasures, including restrictions on tanker traffic or accelerated centrifuge deployment, if talks remain deadlocked.

With the JCPOA’s snap-back mechanism still technically active until October 2025 and Iran’s stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium now estimated at over 140 kg (enough for several bombs if further enriched), diplomats warn that the window for a negotiated return to compliance is narrowing rapidly. The next round of technical talks is tentatively scheduled for mid-March in Vienna. Live updates and official readouts are available through the UN, EU, and Swiss foreign ministry channels.